I tried a few ttyrec-based tools but they didn’t look great.
I settled on the following triumvirate:
- KeyCastr - key stroke visualizer
- LICEcap - animated screen capturer
- gifsicle - animated gif swiss army knife
(If keycastr is off the edge of the screen, hold down a key until you see them appear, then mouse-drag the bezel.)
Probably a better way to do this but this is what I do:
- Resize the window I want to capture.
- Overlay LICEcap over the first window and hit record.
- Go back to the first window and do your thing.
- Go back to LICEcap and stop recording
$ mkdir output; cd output; gifsicle --explode path/to/your/recording.gif
recording.gifin Preview, delete any extra frames in
$ cd path/to/your; gifsicle --optimize --colors 256 --delay=40 --loop *.gif* > ../awesome.gif